Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Rumor and News for 12-16-08 (new Crow, Tr2n, and Zombie's return to the director chair)

Hollywood continues it's attempt to remake or sequel-ize every film property in exsistence. Sometimes this is a good thing... other times not so much. Here are three news items that cover this very topic. I will let you decide where they fall on the spectrum of quality.

The Crow to be remade by original Blade Helmer, Stephen Norrington.

According to this article in Variety...

Here is an excerpt:
“Whereas [ the original film's] director [Alex] Proyas’ original was
gloriously gothic and stylized, the new movie will be realistic, hard-edged and
mysterious, almost documentary-style,” Norrington told Daily Variety.

Norrington has not made a film since the disasterous adaption of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Where titanic clashes with the film's star, Sean Connery, drove them both from the film business. Regardless of that film's quality, Norrington's other work (Blade and the underseen The Last Minute) shows him to be a writer director of some quality with a very unique vision. If a remake has to happen, Stephen Norrington seems like a good fit to me.

Star of Fox's House tv series to star in Tr2n (the sequel to 1982's Tron).

Actress Olivia Wilde to play a
worker in the virtual world who tries to help fight Master Control Program, ... [the] nemesis in the original film.

According to this article from The Hollywood Reporter.

I have no idea who this is. However the news that Jeff Bridges is returning as 'Flynn' and the positive reaction to the test footage screened at '08 San Diego Comic Con have got me really interested in this project.

Rob Zombie to direct a Sequel to his 'reimagining' of the original Halloween.

Again, Variety said so, here.

I'm fairly indifferent to this news. I've yet to see Rob's take on Halloween (the negative buzz kept me away) but I dearly love his brutal and darkly comedic The Devil's Rejects. So, while it's nice to see Rob returning to film... I personally wish it was on a more personal project, like the mysterious Tyrannosaurus Rex that he has been quietly promoting for months.

No comments:

Post a Comment